Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Moving to Ireland to hang out with donkeys

Greetings from doolin.

We hopped on a train Monday and headed across ireland to Galway. We didnt really have any set plans on where to stay, but a bunch of hostels had availability so we figured we would find one when we got there. We met a girl from Alabama in the Dublin train station and tagged along with her to her hostel, snoozles. It was great, right next to the bus station and two minutes from the train. Checked in there and then wandered around Galway for a little bit. Galway was a smaller, more adorable, city compared to Dublin. They had a little park/square and some cool pubs. We walked around in search of some live music, found some guys setting up and figured we would come back around ten when they were supposed to start. Grabbed some cider from spar and hung out at the hostel for a little bit. Didn't get back to that pub until 11 ish.... The band was wrapping up at midnight and we hung around and talked with them for a little while. They were all hilarious guys from a town outside of Galway. They suggested a place that stayed open later than midnight on a Monday so we went there. Aso the guys in this band in addition to being hilarious were adorable. Irish win. Spent some time Tuesday morning creeping all over the Internet. Located them based on two first names. Amazing creeping skills.

The late night bar(late night meaning "open until two", nothing like the seven am spanish bars) was pretty deserted. The dj was playing strange alternative music, stranger than usual. We danced around for a bit. Here is where the story gets sad. I went to move a couple purses farther away from the dancing people and got bumped by a rowdy birthday man. Beer dumped all over my closed purse, somehow managed to seep inside my camera case and break my camera. Awesome. I was not too happy after that. We were walking home and found a couple people planking(laying down in weird places, it is a real thing). Obviously we joined them.

Tuesday morning I got up early and went to the camera store. Camera could not be fixed, bummer times a billion. I bought a new camera, recommended by the worker. It is horrible. I am going back to Galway tomorrow to try to exchange it. It is supposed to have features that stabilize and keep your photos from being blurry, lies. Oh well, I like Galway so this is an ok reason to go back.

Got on the bus to doolin at 11:30. Insanely carsick. Thought we were going to have ask the bus driver to pull over. I kept trying to look outside and enjoy the amazing views. I got a few minutes of eyes open time before I thought I would die and had to close my eyes again.

Got to doolin and found our hostel with the help of a nice b&b owner. Doolin is adorable. Looks like how I pictured the Irish countryside. Woot. Our hostel is cute, and outside is a donkey! Hooray! Some girls in our room named him sigmund. It fits him well. I get super excited every time I see him, it is weird. Love playing spot the donkey. He moves around his tiny little field. So great.

Went to the pub last night for some Irish music/beer. Earlier in the day we had run into a couple we met in Barcelona. Super random. This is a tiny town and neither of us had planned on visiting it until a few days ago.
The pub was great. Music was grand. A thirteen year old boy played the traditional irish tin flute thing. He was amazing. Seriously, insanely talented. We hung out with him and his cousin for a bit. The cousin offered to drive us, me, amy, two girls from pennsylvania-amy and j, to the cliffs of moher today, so we met him this morning around 10:30 aka half ten and went to the cliffs. They were gorgeous. I got some ok pictures with my stupid camera. Super windy up there, I am not surprised that people get blown off the edge. Got really nervous for a tiny little girl being pushed through the fence by her parents. She was crying and obviously terrified. Bad parent award.

After the cliffs Amy and j headed off for Galway on the bus and Amy and I and Darren? It got too late in the day to ask for a name reminder, awkward... We drive around through some cute ittle towns and spent some time in la hinge A beach town famous for it's surfing. Hilarious to see pasty white Irish cutes getting into their wetsuits. I still picture Californian or hawaiian people when I think surfers. Gorgeous views of the water. It seemed way too cold to go swimming, but tons of people were enjoying it.

Got back and did some laundry. Went to a little cafe up the road and got some delicious veggie soup, essentially pureed vegetables. SO healthy.

Time to make some pasta for dinner, then off to find Shane the child musician and his cousin Darren/mystery name. I'll have to find a way to work in some kind of introduction with someone else so we can get his name.

I'm going to head to Galway in the morning and stay there for a night then go on to Dublin. I'll try to meet up with the girls from our doolin hostel in galway. Amy is going to stay in doolin for another night if she can find a hostel and we will meet back up in Dublin and wait for Ben there. Couldn't book the same hostel we were at before in Dublin, which is sad because we loved it. But I found another one in a similar location that could accommodate the three of us for two nights. Amy and j, from Pennsylvania, found some amazing tiger print fleece onesies, with feet and ears, so we have to buy those in Dublin, they said they were super cheap. Cannot pass that up.

Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment